Feed on

Persimmon-like metals (3 posts)

• Profile picture of TremendousSlouch TremendousSlouch said 3 years ago:

Was browsing a local golf shop, and saw an old Taylormade Burner Plus driver, the model that came after the Pittsburgh Persimmon and looks like the Titleist PT metals (pre titanium). I remember hitting them as they were my first metal woods after learning on persimmons. I remember them hitting pretty solidly, and pretty similar to persimmons. Was just curious if anyone here has played them lately and how the compare to persimmons.

sprite
  • Profile picture of Jordan Jordan said 3 years ago:

I remember when those came out. I would say about the same forgiveness as a persimmon but not as good feel of course. I think this club is the start of the distance wars. We all got them thinking we were gonna be bombing it like freddie, however they went just about the same as persimmon. I had one 9 degrees with the stiff titanium shaft, talk about low torque shaft. That thing was a pole. It’s funny I never felt bad about selling any metal wood as the TM burner plus is long gone but I could never make myself get rid of the old woods maybe they are just too pretty. I chased distance for a few years until the heads starting getting into the 400 cc range and Just could not relate to that type of club, It just doesn’t seem like golf. So I dug out those old woods and have been playing 90 percent of all my rounds with them and others i’ve picked up ever since. Might be cool to hit one of those old burners again just to see what kicked all the driver madness off.

sprite
  • Profile picture of TremendousSlouch TremendousSlouch said 3 years ago:

Yeah, visually they weren’t anything to look at, being pretty plain looking. Just similar size to persimmons, without the beauty. I feel the same way about driver size. The largest driver I could ever be comfortable playing was a Titleist 975J-VS, and I played that model driver for 10 years, until I caught the persimmon bug about a year ago. To me, the huge drivers look ridiculous and enable bad swings to still produce good results, which as you said is not golf.

sprite