Feed on

Wood Bros Persimmons, perhaps the best kept secret! (19 posts)

• Profile picture of Warren Warren said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Over the past few years, I have come to appreciate the quality, workmanship and beauty of Wood Bros persimmons. Considering that many high profile PGA players (Langer, Couples, Brooks, Seve, Sutton, Elkington, etc..) all used successfully these works of art during the persimmon hay day on tour only serves to point out that these hold a true place in Persimmon Classic Lore!

I am hoping that this forum kick starts more traffic, photo’s and history of Wood Bros persimmons! So what do you have?

sprite

Here are a few more pictures of some WB’s that I have or had..sniff! I like so many others are always looking to add to the collection, so if you are sitting on any, perhaps we can chat!!

WB – Espana, custom built for Seve!

wood-bros-espana-april-4th-2012.jpg
    wood-bros-collection-4.jpg
    sprite

Here are the original pictures. Not sure what I did wrong..

wood-bros-collection-1.jpg
    wood-bros-collectiion-2.jpg
    wood-bros-collection-3.jpg
    sprite
  • Profile picture of Chris B Chris B said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Hers a different WB driver…. sweptback model!!

Info received on this model: “DM19 has 11″ h X 7″v roll. 7 ” vertical is a lot. This means the loft above the center of the face is about 10.5 and around 7.5 below center. Really skilled ball strikers did this sometimes. They could hit high launch drives by catching the ball higher on the face. Then hit burner drives when striking it below center”

p1050532.jpg
    p1050533.jpg
    sprite
  • Profile picture of Persimmon Golf Today Persimmon Golf Today said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Beautiful collection Warren.  I have 1 WB driver – a standard Texan with an X100 shaft. I will post some shots tonight.

Edit: I am an idiot – I should have just read Chris’s post regarding loft! :)

sprite
  • Profile picture of Warren Warren said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Here is my most recent acquisition! A very rare and unique Wood Bros All American with a Speedslot!

From what I understand from Dave Wood, certain Hogan staffers liked the idea of the Speedslot to lose some gram weight on a driver head. He sculpted the slot into the toe/skirt with a round file because it was the logical place. The slot would not change the shape of the head and would not be visible in his address position.

This was rare for WB’s as the heads were already carefully sorted for gram weight, so this likely was a custom request or perhaps done afterwards.

This club needs to be refinished, but for now..Enjoy!

wb-aa-speedslot-1.jpg
    wb-aa-speedslot-2.jpg
    sprite
  • Profile picture of Chris B Chris B said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Apparently my earlier pictures cam out a bit big! Try again

wb1.jpg
    wb2.jpg
    sprite
  • Profile picture of Persimmon Golf Today Persimmon Golf Today said 3 years, 7 months ago:

I brought em down a bit for you chris.  Sometimes they just show up big!

Do you play that club?  Does it feel as good as it looks?

sprite
  • Profile picture of Persimmon Golf Today Persimmon Golf Today said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Sometimes the pictures show up wierd on the “activity” link from the frontpage but they look great on this thread!  Thanks for posting.

sprite
  • Profile picture of Chris B Chris B said 3 years, 7 months ago:

I’ve hit it a few time Riley. It does do what is says and shots struck lower on the face fly lower. I have no where near the talent to hit this with any constancy but a top player could make it work.

Nice club that feels great off the face as all WB driver seem to!

sprite

Here’s my Texan.  Basic but I like it.  I put it up for sale last August and then had second thoughts.

texantop.png
    texanface.png
    texansole.png
    sprite
  • Profile picture of Warren Warren said 3 years, 7 months ago:

That is a sweet Texan! Always enjoy seeing them, any of them! I agree that these persimmons are different and sometimes tougher to hit as these do not launch the ball like the current drivers do, but there is something to be said about hitting a finesse, low draw for that extra length! HA HA, like that is easy to do..

I know there are a lot of folks that want to pick these up including myself, so hopefully beyond sharing some of these beauties, we will also see some posts for sale items!

Keep them coming!!!

sprite
  • Profile picture of freddiec freddiec said 3 years, 7 months ago:

PGT, thats a sweet looking Texan block. I really like the head shape on that one , especially looking down at it at address, looks so solid. Nice dark wood too. Wood Bros block were often dark like that according to Dave.  Nice topic, will post a few of mine.

Here is one I recently acquired a few months ago.  Hand Crafted for Hogan Staff player Mark Brooks according to Dave, he was fairly certain this was made for Mark.  Its got a S300 shaft, which Mark played and a green victory. 

bc06_mw.jpg
    sprite
  • Profile picture of freddiec freddiec said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Here is another one I really like, its from the late 1980s.  Awesome block! Sits really great. Its got a X100.

texncc.jpg
    sprite

Love that Mark Brooks driver and the other one too.  Even though WB drivers are fairly new they often have carbon and great grain and texture.  That is something I’ve come to appreciate. Mine has that big old knot on the back of the club that actually helps me align.   Dave did a great job in selecting his wood.

sprite