Feed on

Wood Bros Persimmons, perhaps the best kept secret! (19 posts)

• Profile picture of Warren Warren said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Good morning and Happy Monday forum members!

It is great to see that Freddie C has joined! He in my opinion, other that Dave himself, is likely our best, most knowledgable resource for everything WB! Welcome buddy!

Now that I have gotten the mushy stuff out of the way, I wanted to share with you some information on the WB AA Speedslot I posted a few days back..

Dave was kind enough to let me know the history on this club:

“Your All American is another unique WB. The one you possess is one of my very earliest hand-made prototypes. I made this Driver in the period of late 1986 to early 1987.  I originally developed and produced a model with the US sole plate for members of the Reagan, then Bush Sr. cabinets.  

A photo of Secretary of State George P. Shultz was featured on the front page of USA Today playing golf with Australian Prime Minister Bob Hawke.  Mr. Shultz’s US sole plate was very clear in the news photo.

After this great public exposure, I was flooded with request for a similar model and came up with the “All-American”. The driver you’ve acquired was crafted for Peter Jacobsen.  He selected the very dense block from several I showed to him at Colonial in 1986. 

It was bored upright and 1 degree open. Its original length was 44.25. I made the sole plate by cutting its shape on a pantograph machine from a us map template. 

Your AA is a prototype and was made before I had finalized a total design for the All-American model. In the late 1980′s, Jake who changed drivers frequently, gave this driver to his brother David who was a Walker Cup level amateur at the time.”

So needless to say, I am very excited about adding this club to my collection!!!!

sprite
  • Profile picture of freddiec freddiec said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Warren,  Wow, your AA has a great history. Its amazing how Dave is able to retain such a great memory for the history of his clubs.  You and I both as well as a few others I know have had the opportunity to collect Dave’s works of art and Championship level clubs as well as talk to him about his work. Its great to have the opportunity to hunt for clubs like these and be able to acquire such works of art and find out the true history from the man who worked the Wood.  Whats most interesting to me about the WB clubs, is although many of them are alike, Dave hand crafted so many to custom specs, which made each one one of a kind and very unique in their own way.

P.S, I could not thank Dave Wood enough or say enough nice things about him that would do the man justice. He is a true Gentleman and a great guy. He has shared much with me as well as with others. A real collectors dream to have that opportunity…

sprite
  • Profile picture of Texsport Texsport said 2 years, 9 months ago:

freddiec,

I haven’t been here in a long time.
    Love the Brooks!

Texsport

• Profile picture of Blade Junkie Blade Junkie said 1 year, 11 months ago:

A recent acquisition – Riley if you ever make it over to the UK you’ve GOT to try hitting this one … X200 shaft !!!

ian-woosnam-texan-01.jpg
    ian-woosnam-texan-02.jpg
    ian-woosnam-texan-03.jpg
    sprite