Feed on

Persimmon Golf Today – Post Updates on Your Weekly Experiences in Traditional Golf (315 posts)

• Profile picture of Persimmon Golf Today Persimmon Golf Today said 3 years, 8 months ago:

9 holes alone today at Bennett Valley, my home course.  Perfect California weather – I waited until there was a large break between groups before teeing off as a single.  When I’m playing by myself I like to find a gap and slide in where I won’t be pushing the group in front and nobody will be pressuring me from behind.

I decided to to with persimmon driver but put in some modern blades, my Taylormade TP MB’s circa 2004.  I wanted to carry my heavier leather bag so I decided to play a short set: Driver, 3i, 5i, 7i, 9i, and 54 deg wedge.  Play was solid off the shorter tees,  hitting 5 greens and 2 more fringes.  3 bogies were: 1 3-putt, 1 errant layup on a par 5, and 1 shortsiding on a long par-3.  Made 1 birdie on the other par-3, hitting a 5-iron to about 3 foot range. No doubles.

Nothing special today, just a peaceful round in the sun. Very thankful to be able to enjoy this great game in a variety of ways.

sprite
  • Profile picture of Blade Junkie Blade Junkie said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Had a very nice competition round last week with the Golden Ram Tour Grind Vibration-Matched 1-SW set that I used on my recent USA trip. Also had Wood Bros persimmons in the bag but they didn’t feature much, as I decided (for a laugh) that I was going to hit my 1-Iron off every par 4 and 5 tee that day.

So that was 14 tee shots, and I hit maybe 12 of them really good, about 220 or so, and a couple that were mis-hits that went about 170. The only time I pulled out the driver, in defiance of my pre-set strategy, I hit a big slice on #14 and lost the ball (and then split the fairway with the 1-iron “three off the tee”).

The highlight of my round was hitiing the par 5 523 yard 16th in the regulation 3 shots …. 1-Iron, 1-Iron, and then SW from about 80 yards to 10 feet and alas missed the putt.

The lowlight was a run of yips from the 8th through the 15th during which I three-putted every hole and missed 6 times from inside 3 feet. Our greens are in recovery mode, and are not good right now, but even so that was shocking putting !!! I switched to left handed to hole out for the last three holes and nailed all of them. Che sera …

I ended up 14th out of 69.

The 1-iron held it’s own against my playing partners 440cc drivers – frequently within 5 yards or so of where they ended up.

All in all, an enjoyable experiment !

sprite
  • Profile picture of Jordan Jordan said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Blade: I too love my 1 irons, I have an actual 1 iron for my MP33 set, 15 degrees and 3 flat, and for my muirfields i bent the 2 iron to 16 degrees so it plays just like a 1 iron with a little shorter shaft. They are my absolute go to clubs if the hole is tight or i must hit the fairway.

The reason i bought one in the first place is for number 8 at the course i play the most. It’s a dogleg right 405 yard par 4 with water down the whole right side of the fairway. This wouldn’t be that big of a deal except for the bunkers on the left, right in the bailout area. So a precise fade has to be played right at the bunkers moving 10 or so yards off these bunkers to hit the fairway. Draws and long shots go into the trees, overcuts/slices go into the water. The course record is 63 on it and the guy must have been playing unconscious that day but he still bogeyed number 8. I also love them on par fives where you can run a ball into a green and they are my hook/slice out of tree trouble mainstay. Don’t ever let the chorus of “you should really try these new hybrid clubs they’re so easy to hit” deter you from what we all know is the mighty power of the 1 iron. Beside if I want to hit balloon balls I’ll get a 9 wood :)

sprite
  • Profile picture of Blade Junkie Blade Junkie said 3 years, 7 months ago:

What other clubs do you have in your bag Jordan to fit that MP33 1-Iron in ?

My Rams, being a classic set, have the PW loft at 50 degrees, so the gapping is good for a bag of 11 irons, putter and a driver, 3W. The 1-Iron is 17 degrees. Shaft length 39.75″.

My favourite 1-iron is a Slazenger Ben Hogan Apex (original Apex shape) club that (allegedly) used to belong to Tony Jacklin and is  40.5″ long – almost certainly the longest iron I have in my collection, or have ever hit !!

First shot I ever hit with it was a 240 yard dead straight bullet, and I have been a fan of 1-Irons ever since ! They don’t all go like that mind :)

sprite
  • Profile picture of Jordan Jordan said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Blade: Mizuno MP33 set up as follows, Driver, 3wood, 1iron, 3-pw and 53 and 58 wedges. This is my semi modern set if you consider late 90′s early 2000′s modern. I play callaway biggest big bertha driver and war bird strong 3 wood with some nice shafts in them. The wedges i just picked up 2 weeks ago are callaway forged copper from 2012. I’m still getting used to them but so far so good. I have always loved copper wedges and play cleveland byron nelson 50th copper wedges in the classic set and these callaways are as close as I have found to them with conforming grooves. Last but not least the Jan Craig headcovers a christmas gift from my wife. Here’s a phone pic of the set up.

I’ve been playing modern for last 3 weeks in prep. for our city tournament but after may 4th i’ll be back to classic golf. Thx Jordan

mp33s-.jpg
    sprite
  • Profile picture of Persimmon Golf Today Persimmon Golf Today said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Love that setup Jordan.  Somehow I missed that post earlier.  Those 33′s look like great sticks.  That is the sole I prefer – just a touch wider towards the toe, medium/short width with a little bounce. Nice set from right near when I started golfing in the Warbird era.  I played an S2H2 for a long time – I think it’s still in my parents garage.

I caught a free Sunday this last week and joined up with a couple vintage golf lovers for a round at Sea Ranch on the north coastal edge of Sonoma county.  I was playing my Penna Driver with a newer Penna 3 wood and my Wilson Staff 80′s era blades.  My friend Johnny had the red dot Maxfli Australian blades and an Armour 925 driver; other friend Fred had 60′s era Hogan blades with some refurbished m85′s.  I had never seen the red dots in person and they are sweet clubs, squarish toe with a just a little offset and not too big, touch of bounce on the soles.

We got lucky with the weather as the sky was overcast but the wind stayed down and it was warm.  I started slow as we worked out the stiffness from the car ride.   Missed a lot of green on the front but missed them in the right spot and was able to get up a down a few times.  Made the turn at +5.  Back nine was better as I started to hit fairways and greens but couldn’t buy a birdie.  Solid but unspectacular and really fouled up the easy par 3 17th, lucky to escape with bogie.  Solid par on 18 put me at +2 on that side for a +7 79 with no birdies.    Pretty lackluster all in all but I was pretty happy with my driving of the golf ball and my scrambling on the front.  Beautiful day, good friends, fun golf with some vintage sticks!

sprite
  • Profile picture of Jordan Jordan said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Had a chance to try out a new driver today. Toney Penna Model JS with what feels like a x flex shaft. 

I have been wanting one of these for awhile and finally found one on the the bay for 15 bucks. I believe this is from the mid to late seventies judging by the wood and shaft band. I have to say this is one of the most solid blocks i’ve hit with a very hard feeling insert. I was able to hit some real nice drives today with it. Hit 9 of 13 fairways with one total pure solid bomb that had that mid high boring trajectory that i just love, couple of nice control heal fades with it too. The greens are being punched for the summer around here so i didn’t really even keep score just having fun hitting some golf shots with the boys. Good times in Az

20140605_160018-1.jpg
    tp-js.jpg
    sprite
  • Profile picture of Persimmon Golf Today Persimmon Golf Today said 3 years, 6 months ago:

I love it.  I picked up a set of blonde Penna woods from that same era but maybe they were 80′s as they had S-400.  The driver was solid but sat a little bit closed which I didn’t like.  But I recently pulled out the 3-wood and it is absolute perfection.  Best 3-wood I’ve ever hit and it now resides in my vintage bag.  Penna really knew how to make a golf club.  Love the look of that deep face – should be no problem to tee it up a little bit and let one fly w/o worrying about popping it up.  I’d take 9 out of 13 fairways, nothing wrong with that!

sprite
  • Profile picture of Jordan Jordan said 3 years, 6 months ago:

PGT: I was sorry to hear about your dislike of the MP29′s, The offset is just a very strange progression on that set. After all the sweet iron sets i’ve seen on here i do think you deserve a nice set of Mizuno blades. Might I make a couple of suggestions that i think would be right up alley. 1st Mizuno TP 11, some put this in their best of all time blades list and I will say they are very sweet. Offset is minimal and consistent with very soft feel. 2nd Mizuno MP14, hell just keep the 2-4 of the 29′s and add MP14′s P-5 and you have tigers old set up, or just get a full set of the 14′s these might be the best looking/feeling of all the Mizunos. 3rd Mizuno MP33,

these are my favorite Mizuno’s all time however the overall blade is a little longer than normal which some people don’t like. Offset is about the same as the muifields but toe is much rounder. If you like a square toe or more traditional look go with the TP11′s of MP14′s.

All of the newer Blades MP68, MP69 and the new MP4 have almost as much offset as Ping Eye 2′s although they do still feel sweet.

sprite

I will keep my eye out for one of those sets.  Thanks for the heads up!

sprite
  • Profile picture of Persimmon Golf Today Persimmon Golf Today said 3 years, 5 months ago:

I enjoyed a relaxing afternoon nine this week with a couple buddies that also enjoy playing with persimmon.  It was one of those evenings where there are a few groups scattered around the course so you jump around to find a routing that lets you play at a satisfying pace.  No focus on score today but I did have a couple birdies in 10 holes thanks to some long putts that fell. Another highlight was hitting my blonde 80′s Penna 3w onto and over the last hole (a par 5) in 2.  Couldn’t quite get it up and down for a 3rd birdie.

This is me hitting the same 3w off the tee on the narrow 16th.

And Johnny hitting driver (Armour 925W) on the dogleg right 14th.

sprite
  • Profile picture of Spalding28 Spalding28 said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Two very distinctive, personal, and effective swings.

Love to see players who own their swings.

Good on both of you!

sprite
  • Profile picture of Bram Bram said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Hi all, I’m a new member (thanks Riley for the fantastic blog and all of you here for the great community.) Currently coming back to golf, ‘slowly but obsessively’ after a 12 year layoff. Wanted to make a contribution, so here goes. My vintage wedges. Bought at three opportunity shops here in Auckland, NZ, for a total of $14NZD. Maxfli Dunlop Australian Blade (PW), Wilson Fluid Feel 1987 (SW), Hogan Slazenger Power Thrust Exploder (LW).

The Hogan-Slazenger Exploder joins the Slazenger Power Thrust  2 thru 9 irons (also from ’61) that I found at two separate ‘op-shops’ for $2ea. The irons join 2W, 3W, 4W, 5W Muirfield 20th persimmons, for the time being. I say time being because an upcoming project is flattening and re-shafting 1-3W Hogan Speedslot persimmons and a Mac OW2A 2W (late 60′s?) which I found in a junk shop with a nice looking head but a crapped out alloy shaft. To get my skills up to speed, I renovated the 1W and 3W Tourney laminates that came with the OW2A, and donated them to a mate.

(A personal note about those Muirfield 20th’s. Albeit coming from the late 80′s, I guess, and their lies appearing a little modern/steep for the shallow swing I’ve had forever, that 3W is a hummer, consistently rolling out to 240-270 yards on a flat fairway. To put that in context with a modern club, I’m 5,11″, 160lb and reliably drive 250-270 yards with my Titleist 910 D2 with hosel set at 11.25* draw.)

Cheers!

img_8373.jpg
    sprite
  • Profile picture of Persimmon Golf Today Persimmon Golf Today said 3 years, 5 months ago:

That is a nice vintage setup Bram!  The powerthrusts were some of the best Hogan irons and designed personally by him – but the hard part is always finding a vintage wedge to match the set.  Speedslot persimmons will be a great match when they are ready and the Muirfields should serve you well in the interim.  You’ve already done what I suggest to people getting started in vintage golf – find several options for all your clubs because it’s unlikely they’ll all work out perfectly.  Between 2nd hand stores and Ebay you have access to a lot of different gear to try out.  Older clubs are so unique and different but it’s great when you finally find a setup that fits your game and swing.  Then you hold on to them forever.  Good luck and let us know how it goes when you make it out to the course.

sprite
  • Profile picture of Jordan Jordan said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Hello all, I’ve had some cool experiences lately playing persimmon and blades that i just have to share. First, about three weeks ago I got an afternoon off and got joined up with a threesome who I found out were playing a 3500 dollar match. It’s been forever since I’ve seen a big money match on the local course and these guys could play. I did my best to stay out of way and I ended up having some great conversations about the classic gear I was playing. They were in their sixties and all of them remember playing persimmon. On the first tee they couldn’t believe someone would actually play these clubs but about halfway through the round they started to get nostalgic about it. Told me some great stories about golf in the sixties and seventies in AZ. On the last hole they asked if they could add a side bet of best drive with the old persimmon. I said of course and after they hit their normal drives they each tee’d it up with the Cleveland Jumbo. 1st guy hits one strait but a little off the heal and lost distance, 2nd guy just nuts one long with a little draw, 3rd guy steps up hits a nice little fade right down the middle. So we go down the fairway to see the results, 1st and 3rd guys shots are about 15 yards short of the original drives which is about right in my experience. 2nd guy wins the side bet and has driven 20 yards farther with persimmon than his original drive. I told him it’s only fair to play the first :) . Needless to say they were just about beaming and talking about it as they headed to the bar to settle up. Secondly, I got a chance to play one of the oldest courses in the Phoenix area this weekend. The Biltmore Country Club est. 1929 is a nice parkland layout and plays to 6400 yards. I must say it was so great playing this kind of course. I get jealous seeing the classic places you guys in San Francisco get to play and it felt nice playing a proper golf course. Shot 73 with my best ballstriking day of the summer. 10 fairways and 16 greens in regulation. The greens were so much faster than what I’m used to was probably the only reason I didn’t break par. I just loved smoking my playing partners who all love the 460 drivers and such. Lastly I have decided that next year I will be using persimmon in the city open tournament. This year I shot 75 and 79 in the tournament but I lost all my strokes from not putting myself in position off the tee. I think it might be weight or length of shaft but I am so much more consistent with persimmons. I had a couple punch out sideways holes in the tournament that derailed good starts and the greens are big enough that I think the loss of yards won’t hurt me. So next year I will surely be ridiculed by all the serious golfers in the city hopefully my play will shut them up. Hope everyone else is having a great summer as well. Thanks Jordan

sprite