Feed on

Recent visit to Joe Powell Golf in Sarasota, Fl (22 posts)

• Profile picture of freddiec freddiec said 3 years, 2 months ago:

I had to share this with you guys, it was just so good, I had to pass this along.  I’ve been collecting persimmon woods and playing them for about 8 years now.  Like most of you my interest and passion for these clubs has reached fanatical at times. I’ve always looked for the perfect club to admire and to play in the bag.  I’ve know that Joe Powell was still in business and that he was down in Florida. My wife and I discovered a great destination to vacation and wouldn’t you know its just a 20 minute drive to Joe Powell.  We’ve been down to Sarasota 3 times now in the past 2 years and it just dawned on my a few weeks ago I need to go visit this great club maker. I called John Powell the president a month ago and he was really great over the phone and said he would be willing to show me just about anything I wanted to see, clubs, his process, ect.  This past Friday I drove over and visited with John for an hour.  He took the business over from his Dad a number of years ago. His Dad was at MacGregor for a while before leaving and starting JP in the 1970s.  JP became a big player and made clubs for a lot of big names. John said most of their players were actually LPGA players, like Dotty Pepper. Langer won his 1st Masters with a JP driver. (I never knew that… ).  My vistit with John was very exciting for me, it was really more that I expected. John showed me his production area, where they assemble clubs, store clubs, ect. They have a really nice facility with a real old school shop feel.  Its the type of place that has not changed much in 30 + years. His persimmon driver models are things of beauty and in my opinion after seeing a lot of his clubs first hand that day and listening to John speak about his process and history, its clear his Woods are not only real classic, but top quality and design.  He allowed me to select a couple to purchase first hand. I looked at about 20 drivers and was able to choose 2 that I really liked. That was pretty sweet and a very unique opportunity.  He also showed me his older machines that they still use today to produce their finished product (persimmon heads).  It was really quite a visit. I ended up purchasing 2 new beautiful drivers with white/black/white inserts. They heads have exceptional grain. He’s going to ship them to me this week.  Attached are a few pics from my visit.  The 2 clubs I picked up are the 1st 2 in the group of 4. One has a R300, other S300.

jp_joep.jpg
    jp_2.jpg
    jp_fac.jpg
    sprite
  • Profile picture of Persimmon Golf Today Persimmon Golf Today said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Great post! I’ve been looking hard at Joe Powell’s online and always appreciate the quality of their woods.  There are many out there with exceptional grain and I love that they make a PT1W styled model which is one the first few Mac models I really enjoyed.  I love the feel of that old school shop.  What a unique experience to tour their facility and hand pick a couple woods to play or display.  Post some pics when they arrive.  Thanks for sharing!

sprite

Riley, I will definitely photo the clubs when they arrive later this week. I spoke to John today and he shipped them to me yesterday. 1 has a R300 shaft (43.5 inches long), the other S300 at 43 inches.  He spoke to me today about Langer’s DSP_GT driver which he used to win the Masters in 1985. It had a glass insert. They could not put screws in the insert because they were too hard, the would have cracked.  Extremely cool experience, one I wont’ forget.  I am now wanting him to total custom a new club for me. After seeing his place its clear his stuff is top notch and works of art.  You gotta love it.

sprite

PGT, Yesterday a solid white box with “Joe Powell Golf” shows up with these 2 beauties. I’ve decided after staring at these 2 for the last 2 days and comparing them to my other collection I’m going to custom order a driver from JP (soon).  These 2 drivers are hands down 2 of the nicest I’ve ever owned. I’m looking fwd to teeing up some wound balls soon and giving them a nice test drive.  They set up really fantasic and in the hands they feel perfect. The darker stained on is 43.5 inches long, R300 shaft, Tour wrap grip, sits ridiculously good. The lighter stained 43 inches, S300. Both D2 SW.

jpr300sm.jpg
    jp_r300sp.jpg
    sprite

Here is the 2nd Joe Powell, sits about half degree closed to my eye, but is technically square according to John face lie machine he used when I was there. Just awesome both of them. This one I looked at in John’s small showroom when you first walk it, there were about 12 drivers on a nice stand, I couldn’t put it down the entire time I was there, so I picked it up too. :-)

jp_s300_1p.jpg
    sprite
  • Profile picture of Persimmon Golf Today Persimmon Golf Today said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Wow, those ones set up beautifully!  You found a couple of lovely drivers there and the team at JP did a great job building them.  I love how you can faintly see the grain through the stain – looks like a nice tight block. Excellent American craftsmanship and a nice modern era persimmon. Enjoy them!

sprite
  • Profile picture of Jordan Jordan said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Holy Cow, between the wood bros. thread and now this. Some seriously good lookin blocks on display. I am not the jealous type but I have some major driver envy going on now. Thanks for all the posts, going to check out JP’s website now – Jordan

sprite
  • Profile picture of Warren Warren said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Well if there is interest in Joe Powell, I thought I would share this cool club in my collection. It is my only JP but I very nice one that was produced to commemorate the 1993 Ryder Cup at the Belfrey. It came with a full embroidered case, a custom Ryder Cup graphic shaft and a very sweet persimmon block.

Enjoy!

jp-1.jpg
    jp-2.jpg
    sprite

Here are a couple more pictures of the 93 Joe Powell..

jp-3.jpg
    jp-4.jpg
    sprite

Awesome Warren!  What a cool headcover!  It’s pretty rare to find a custom headcover just for a persimmon.  Great looking sticks too.  Ever hit em?

sprite

When they are this unique and in new condition, no. This is for my collection, not for me to apply a nice sky mark too.. LOL

I have some persimmon Toney Penna gamers that I use when I step back in time. Bit of a cheat on this as they have aluminum inserts, but.. :)

sprite

Warren,
    That’s a real beauty and great design. I like the look of that insert With those multiple score lines. When I was visiting John Powell he showed me one of those models and told me that the Ryder Cup ordered something like 1000 of those for the tournament to be sold.

Thanks for the information Fred. It looks like mine is number 416 of 1000 then. This is the only one I have seen, so likely collectors make a point to keep them..

It is a sweet looking driver!

sprite
  • Profile picture of Blade Junkie Blade Junkie said 3 years, 2 months ago:

What a great thread!

I’m a big fan of Joe Powell clubs, and must have bought pretty much every decent example that has shown up on UK eBay in the last 3 years :)

IRONS

Joe Powell Original 3-SW (new and unhit)

Joe Powell Pincher 55

WOODS

Joe Powell DSP J2 Driver, 3-wood, 5-wood

Joe Powell DSP J3 Driver

Joe Powell PT1W Driver, Smoker

Joe Powell PBG Driver (x2), Smoker

Joe Powell Limited Edition Driver, Smoker

Joe Powell Glas Trac Driver

Pics to follow …

sprite

Looking forward to blade junkies pics. I am still buzzing from my very cool visit to Joe Powell golf. Here is another great model I bought from John. It’s hid DSP GT model which has a multilayer glass insert. No screws are put into the insert or you would have breakage. This driver was slightly used as a demo for the tour and has a S300. Sits like a dream to my eye could be a great gamer really looking fed to hitting this. Langer won the 85 Masters using a JP with this same insert.